Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spring is on the Way!

We've been teased with a few gorgeous days recently just to remind us that spring really is on it's way....sometime!

Things have been really busy it seems, but we can't pinpoint exactly why. We've both been spending lots of hours working, and struggling to find time off together to take a vacation. Josh's busy season is now through the end of March, and mine is June through the end of the year, leaving very little time for get aways. I took a week off in February simply because I have 6 weeks to use this year and needed a mental break. I love my job, but it's high stress and exhausting. Taking a day off really doesn't work overly week, so I took an entire week and didn't touch my laptop or Blackberry the entire week - it was so refreshing! The first part of the week I spent with Dad touring his new home come April of 2012. It's a lovely early retirement community of independent living condos and it has all the luxuries of a 5 star resort! I wish I was 55 so I could move in!

Wednesday, February 16, we lost our sweet Gretchen. She had been diagnosed with bone cancer in November, and it was time. She was no longer enjoying life to the fullest, and I could tell she was tired. I spent all day Wednesday snuggling her and crying, then we said goodbye Wednesday evening. It was the toughest decision I've had to make yet, but I am 100% confident it was the right decision. Josh had never had to make that decision before either, so it was another first in our marriage. We've had a lot of those lately!

The rest of the week was spent painting the entire upstairs of our house, which, for those of you that have seen it, is no small feat! It's not a mansion by any means, but our kitchen, dining, and living room are all one big open room, and the ceiling is vaulted, making for some very challenging spots to cover! Thanks to 2 dear friends of mine, we managed to complete the entire project in a day! Yes, you read that right.....ONE DAY! It would have taken me weeks by myself.

The weekend before I had painted the master bedroom a lovely blue color, so now, with the exception of the other 2 bedrooms upstairs, everything is painted!

To cap off the week, Josh and I took a little weekend get away to Minneapolis. We did it last year, too, and it was so much fun we decided to try again. We love Ikea and the outlet mall in Albertville. There is an Under Armour outlet there that Josh cleaned out last year, so that was destination #1. He didn't fare well there this year. I, however, managed to fill up the back end with good deals. Oh well, there's always next year!

BBQ season is nearly here! I can't believe our first contest is just over a month away in Jefferson City, MO, home of the Butt-to-Butt invitational. We won 1st place in pork at the Iowa State BBQ Championship in Marshalltown last year, earning a spot in the prestigious Butt-to-Butt invitiation, where we'll compete for an enviable boar's tooth necklace. It will be our first cook of the season, so I'm not getting my hopes too high, but maybe, just maybe, we'll luck out!

In May, Mom's headstone should be installed, so Josh and I will head to Waterloo to see it for the first time. Another first in our marriage. With each event of this last year, I've been shown time and time again why I married this man. He is amazing, and I'm sure my outlook and view on life would be much different had he not been by my side through the challenges of this last year.

Babies, babies everywhere! We have many friends and family members expecting sweet little bundles of joy this year, so that will add lots of fun and excitement to our year, I'm sure! I think the first is due in June, then several this fall. I can't wait to buy baby gifts and spoil all the sweet little munchkins!

The ISU wrestling season is now over, with the exception of the NCAA tournament in a couple weeks. It was definitely not a season for the record books, but we're encouraged by the marked improvement the team showed throughout the year. The next year or 2 should continue to improve and I anticipate Iowa State to be considered a wrestling powerhouse again soon. It's a good thing we have BBQ since all our Cyclone sports are done now! I don't know what I'd do without a weekend hobby....ugh.

That's about all the excitement here - as you can tell - we're really not that exciting. We're just thoroughly enjoying life as a married couple, relaxing, taking little weekends away, and finding little home projects to keep us entertained.

We love visitors, and have 2 spare bedrooms, so if you're in the area, stop by - we'd love to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment